Retrospectator

Another misinformed, misguided but opinionated individual who feels the need to contribute. Now you too can view the world through the the eyes of a middle-aged man who can't see his toes, let alone the point of it all.

Sunday, August 12, 2007


Good Moaning...

'Terve' (Hello). Uncle Sulo shook hands and met me with the standard Finnish welcome.

'Good Moaning', I responded. 'My calves ache at the thought of pickled herring - what is your thinking?' Somewhat startled, he paused - stared blankly at me for a moment, but continued with our doomed conversation.

Despite the fact that I was born in Helsinki, my grasp of the Finnish language can be best described as remedial. I left my former homeland when I was just 4 years old and still revert to the vocabulary of a pre-schooler when engaged in conversation.

'Monta paiva te olette Soumessa?' (How long are you staying in Finland?), inquired Sulo.

'I will weave a net in a number of days', I responded.

He bowed his head slightly towards my mother and whispered under his breath. I think I heard him ask her if she had dropped me when I was a child.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Hollingsworth said...

LMAO! seriously!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home