Retrospectator

Another misinformed, misguided but opinionated individual who feels the need to contribute. Now you too can view the world through the the eyes of a middle-aged man who can't see his toes, let alone the point of it all.

Sunday, May 06, 2007


Gay icon or corporate puppet...

As I was driving to Canterbury this morning I couldn't help but notice that the special guest at this year's Caring Parent Fair, at Kent Showground, is none other than Noddy. I was expecting a hunched-over, bitter old cartoon caricature - after all he just recently celebrated his 50th birthday.

So imagine my surprised to see a spritely, smiling Noddy waving at me from the billboard on the side of the road. I was traveling relatively fast and increasing speed, but from the fleeting glance I had, it certainly looks like he's had some work done....not a wrinkle on him.

There aren't too many 50 year old men that are prepared to wear tight blue hotpants, shiny red pumps and pokka-dotted yellow cravat in public. Are there? So what is a corporate puppet, like Noddy doing moonlighting at a rural fun fair? Maybe things are a little slow at Toyland, because it looked like he was freelancing this gig - there was no sign of Big Ears, Martha Monkey or Tessie bear. Perhaps there has been a split...because of creative differences?

Many critics have accused Noddy of being two-dimensional, but he has transformed into quite a colourful character in recent years. I'm just pleased he got out of rehab...he was looking absolutely pasted last time I saw him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Hollingsworth said...

hahahah! Laughed my ARSE off! Thanks John, beer v.soon!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home