Retrospectator

Another misinformed, misguided but opinionated individual who feels the need to contribute. Now you too can view the world through the the eyes of a middle-aged man who can't see his toes, let alone the point of it all.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006


Frog in the bog...

English cuisine has improved remarkably over recent years, but there are some traditional meals that continue to cling tightly to the plate. I know I'm on dangerous ground when criticising national foods (my Finnish uncle has still not forgiven me for publicly questionning the national palate of my homeland), but what on earth is a Toad in the Hole doing in my local supermarket?

I am reliably informed that a Toad in the Hole is just Yorkshire Puddy with sausages in it - served up with gravy and potato. So why is it so admired, so sought after and sold in such large quantities as to demand prime position in a Sainsbury's freezer?

Apparantly it is classified as a 'traditional British dish'...but so is a baked potato. Still, who am I to cast dispersions upon the humble Toad in the Hole - it can't be any worse than an Australian frozen family meat pie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home