Retrospectator

Another misinformed, misguided but opinionated individual who feels the need to contribute. Now you too can view the world through the the eyes of a middle-aged man who can't see his toes, let alone the point of it all.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Bless you!

Heavy-headed and with a nose like a coffee perculator, I stood on the wet platform suffering from a bad cold. Not only was my train cancelled, but so dangerously over-crowded was the tube this morning that I had to wait 10 minutes on the main concourse of Victoria Station before they would even let us down the stairs to the barriers leading to the tube.

As the gates were flung open and we charged the barriers like a moving mosh-pit at a Bullet For My Valentine gig, security reigned us in once again. Stalled at the barriers for a further 10 minutes, I peered at the CCTV images of the northbound Victoria line platform - it looked like on of those carnival coin machines you find on Brighton Pier - you now the ones where you insert a coin that rolls out onto a tray stacked with coins, hoping you knock a few off into the tray.

It looked far too dangerous for my liking. All it needed was for someone to trip and the domino affect would surely push someone else onto the tracks. When I finally got onto the plaform there was no alternative for me, but to go with the flow. After 6 consecutive trains arriving and departing - absolutely stuffed with commuters I finally found myself standing trackside of the yellow line that the PA system constantly tells us to stand behind - for our own safety.

Once onboard, I was pressed so tightly against my fellow passengers that there was no need to hold onto anything for support - and as my nose continued to run, my eyes began to water, and I had an uncontrollable sneezing fit. We were packed in so tightly that I couldn't even reach into my pocket for a tissue - all I could do was apologise to the man standing in front of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home